Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Schedule, 2010



The NFL released its 2010 schedule Tuesday, and so I now get to tell you all how I think the Redskins will do this season.

First off, the actual schedule, courtesy of the Redskins:



What we have here is a fairly balanced schedule. When the opponents were initially released, I thought that it was an overpoweringly difficult schedule, but the "difficult" opponents are spread out over the season, so the first half of the schedule is similar to the second half. (Also, note that the Bye week comes in the exact middle of the season).

But there aren't too many "gimmie" games for the Skins. The closest they come are at the Lions, against Houston, at the Rams and at Jacksonville, and those aren't too easy. Consider: The Lions -- THE LIONS! -- edged the Skins last season.

Prime time = ouch
There are three national TV games on the docket, which hasn't been good for the Redskins recently. The Redskins played three prime time games in 2009 and lost all three. Not only that, but they scored just 29 points in those three games COMBINED. They were shut out by the Cowboys, 17-0.

The Redskins are winless in their last two seasons in prime-time games. They're 1-5 for the last three years, and 1-7 in the last four years. Since 2004, the Redskins have won just 3 prime-time games. 3 out of 14 games. Ouch.

Divisional games ...
I really would like to say that I think the Skins will go far this coming season. But, going game-by-game, I just have trouble seeing anything over a .500 season. Of course, that may be because I'm marking off all divisional games as a loss.

Yes, I'm giving the Redskins an "L" for every divisional game, even against the McNabb-less Eagles. Why? Because the Skins have had trouble with divisional victories for several years now. Color me skeptical, but I'll wait until Shanahan and Co. start beating the pants off the Giants, Eagles and Cowboys until I start to be a believer.

2 comments:

  1. I consider that the redskins we see today are more professional than the redskins from last season, we have better players at some positions and we have a coach who is not only a coach but he is a coach, I believe the improvements made so far will hold the skins in good stead this season, I also believe the only games that are sure losses are the boys at boys, the giants at the giants and the colts in DC, but i could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. And I hope I'm wrong.

    I think the Zorn era may be among the worst for this franchise. Which is saying something, considering Spurrier.

    ReplyDelete